[meteorite-list] Snohomish Fireball Updates

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jun 5 14:25:01 2004

Dear List,

Sorry we have not been able to post to the List lately. We have been very
busy responding to several hundred emails, working with the University of
Washington, moving, doing interviews with the media and checking out leads
on the June 3rd meteor sighting.

The good news is that the Geology department at the University of Washington
recalculated the trajectory of the fireball using data recorded on seismic
equipment. The updated coordinates place the explosion at 27 miles
altitude, 6.4 miles NE of a cool little town called Snohomish. We have been
talking to witnesses and are checking out a promising lead. The witness
claimed he was taking an unauthorized cigarette break when he saw the
fireball, heard the explosions and moments later heard something hit the
pavement in front of him. He claims to have recovered a rock that was
shattered when it hit the pavement leaving behind physical evidence. We
will update later after we examine the material and his report to see if it
is valid. Park Forest taught use not to get excited until undeniable
evidence is in hand. Here is a link to an article that mentions the
coordinates and us:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/176336_meteor04.html

Will update when we return from the field this afternoon,

All the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
Team LunarRock