[meteorite-list] AD: Los Angeles Mars Meteorite 1.5g

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 9 07:08:45 2004

http://marzmeteorite.tripod.com/la/la1_5/la1_5.htm

While much attention is being directed towards Mars,
here is an offer for you to consider.

In light of all the recent papers that have been
published regarding the Los Angeles meteorite,
papers which show this Mars rock to be a most unique
shergottite, I feel it is now an appropriate time to
release some of this material to the collector
community.
I am making available a 1.5 gram part slice of the Los
Angeles Mars Meteorite.
I am not a meteorite dealer. But I am the finder of
this meteorite, an exceptional basaltic shergottite,
and I rarely make available this much material.

I'm directing this offer to those of you who dislike
bidding on eBay auctions - for whatever reason!
See if this novel approach appeals to you:

BEST OFFER gets this specimen.
The "best offer" price will NOT be made public!
The name of the person with the "best offer" will NOT
be made public!

This is a PRIVATE offer.
There is NO BIDDING!

I have done this kind of "Silent Auction" before, and
I have found that there are collectors who prefer this
over an eBay auction? I have also received offers
from institutions and researchers that were attracted
to the guarantee of anonymity for the buyers. These
are people who would never have bid on an eBay
auction.

Here's how it works:

You make your "best offer".
Within the five (5) day time limit of this offer, you
can raise or retract your "best offer"!
"Best offer" means best offer.
I reserve the right to refuse any "best offers",
particularly if I perceive any wrong-doing,
or a person makes public their "best offer" prior to
the deadline of this PRIVATE offer.

This offer is only good for the next 5 days, with a
deadline
of midnight PDT on Sunday the 13th of June.

Who ever has the best (highest) offer by Sunday
Midnight (PDT) the 13th, gets this specimen!
The next day I get in contact with the high bidder.

The weight is ever so slightly just under 1.5 grams
The measurements are 17 x 15 x 2 mm

Free registered shipment worldwide after payment is
received. Sorry, no credit card.

If you have further questions please contact me off
list.
All reasonable offers will be seriously considered.
(Trade offers will only be considered if they come
from well established institutions where researchers
can have access to this meteorite for their studies.)

Images of the 1.5 gram specimen that is being offered
can be seen on this web page :

http://marzmeteorite.tripod.com/la/la1_5/la1_5.htm

For more detailed information about this meteorite:

<http://curator.jsc.nasa.gov/curator/antmet/mmc/XVLosAngeles03.PDF>

<http://curator.jsc.nasa.gov/curator/antmet/mmc/ChapXXXAfter.PDF>

<http://www.lpi.usra.edu/science/treiman/unmixing.pdf>

The formally approved name for this meteorite is
"Los Angeles".

Should you have any questions, contact me before
making an offer.
Bob V.