[meteorite-list] Unclassified eBay bargin may turn out to be a UREILITE!

From: Jeff Kuyken <jeff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 10 08:14:11 2004

G'day List,

I've had a 42g oriented shield for about 2-ish years now which I bought on eBay for very little. I always thought it looked unusual and suspected it might be an L7 or something like it. I was never able to get a good surface as the stone had been windowed irregularly. I finally chopped off the excess the other day and just polished it with emery. My suspicions started when I got the 'annoyed looked' from my girlfriend as I polished the piece. It made a really bad sound like finger nails down a black board and was quite difficult to polish. Then under 10x magnification it looks a little like my Shisr 007 piece except much grayer. There are no chondrules and with two 1 inch rare earth magnets; very little attraction.

It has proved extremely difficult to photograph but there are some shots at the link below. I would really like to hear any opinions from other collectors and dealers out there. This may just turn out to be the best eBay meteorite deal ever!

http://www.meteoritesaustralia.com/features/ureilite.html

Thanks,

Jeff Kuyken
I.M.C.A. #3085