[meteorite-list] Meteorite in Canada Confirmed...12 Years Later

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 10 17:52:15 2004

http://calgary.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ca_meteorite20040610

Meteorite confirmed... 12 years later
CBC (Canada)
June 10, 2004

Fort McLeod, Alberta - Fort McLeod farmer Gerald Goldenbeld was pretty
sure the odd looking rock in his field was a meteorite.

But it was 12 years before he teamed up with University of Calgary
professor Alan Hildebrand to confirm his find.

This particular meteorite is fairly common except for some "shock" marks.
These are created when a larger meteor is struck by a smaller one.

But, Hildebrand says finding any meteorite is a rare event. And studying
it may help to protect the earth from asteriod collisions.

"Now, of course we are aware and concerned about the impact hazard, and
one way to change an asteroid's orbit - should we happen to find on
e that's headed towards the earth - is to explode something near it
 to give it a push," he says.

"And, of course, that's a shock - so understanding how they react to
that is something we'd like to know."