[meteorite-list] Baking a fresh meteorite

From: star-bits_at_comcast.net <star-bits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 16 15:35:23 2004

Heating could drive off volitiles or breakdown organic compounds depending on the temperature. For bubbles in halite crystals heating enough to vaproize the liquid could rupture the crystal and the primoral liquid could be lost. None of this would be observable to the ordinary collector, but there could be a definate loss of scientific data. I certainly wouldn't recommend it before samples had been removed for scientific purposes.

--
Eric Olson
ELKK Meteorites