[meteorite-list] Baking a fresh meteorite

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 16 15:50:35 2004

Marco,

For an unknown meteorite that has got to be terrible advice, wouldn't you
think? The mindset of "a stone" vs. an unknown sample of the universe, is
probably part of the problem. All the "natural" lighter components would be
volatilized, and there is alway the risk of microscopic sintering.

I doubt NASA treats their returned samples blindly like this, perhaps the
best advice would be to seal, with the minimum of air, as hermetically possible
and put in the coldest freezer available ... to simulate the best shot at outer
space conditions ... like most biological and chemical analyses require.

I remember reading about Bob Haag picking up an organic meteorite in
Murchison Australia in Rocks from Space by Richard Norton, about a smart woman who had
sealed it in a pickle jar or something like that, and everyone was very
impressed by the odors that were captured.

Now if the meteorite is known to be an common OC and fell through the roof
into a fish tank, perhaps such a scenario might lend to a little baking...

Saludos, Doug

En un mensaje con fecha 06/16/2004 2:04:33 PM Mexico Daylight Time,
marco.langbroek_at_wanadoo.nl escribe: