[meteorite-list] Statistics for Falls

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 17 08:45:04 2004

Thanks for the sharing the listings Bernd. While I did find the conversations that followed very interesting, they seem slightly off subject from what the statistic show. Meaning, I do not think the statistics could tell you anything about the fall rate of meteorites. A good example here is New Orleans, which fell in a very well population location and was only spotted by one person. (A meteorite that will be available in real slices....very, very soon)

What the numbers do show is the statistics for recovered meteorite falls. To decipher any data from them, one might need to break it up by country. This would show for example, or hint at, the affect (or non-affect) of Nininger and recovered meteorite falls. The "Nininger factor" is quite obvious with finds.

Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com