[meteorite-list] Fireball questions

From: GeoZay_at_aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 17 10:29:44 2004

>> If a fireball explode and create a sonic(shock) wave observed in seismic
stations; if the same fireball create thump rumble or thump deflagrations;
can we suppose find a meteorite on the ground?<<
I once pursued in California a very loud sonic producing fireball with
Caltech who monitored the various seismic stations. I was told that these kind of
sounds were somehow filtered out so they wouldn't show up on the seismigraphs.

>>At wich altitude a normal bolide can explode, or produce a audible sonic
boom?<<
To produce a sonic boom, the meteoroid would have to be at least 30 miles
above the earth.
George Zay