[meteorite-list] New Orleans Meteorite

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jun 19 22:35:51 2004

Hello Matt and list,

Matt wrote, "Very nice piece Mark."

Thank you. New Orleans kind of got overshadowed by other meteorite events at the time, and still continued to be mostly ignored here on the list. As Mike Farmer noted, it has been classified and is listed in the latest bulletin. I do not think we mentioned the classification on the list, and so I was not aware.

New Orleans is an H5. Which surprises me as I can see little metal on my sample. Of course it is all scratched up and although it did not show up well in the photograph, is very smeared with sheetrock....so maybe if I cleaned it...

Matt also noted, "Email me off-list if interested. Both small and larger pieces."

Not much of the meteorite was put aside for collectors. It will be interesting to see if there is enough to supply demand. With the increase of househitters, I think you will see an increase in the meteorite associated with them. Pf we still have to see what happens to the Garza stone and the main mass....of course. Too bad I wasn't around to buy a nice Peekskill price when it came out.....:-(

Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com