[meteorite-list] Meteorite Fall in Australia?

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 28 00:29:49 2004

http://the.standard.net.au/articles/2004/06/28/1088274657543.html

Terang man rocked by drop-in
By JACLYN DENSLEY
Warrnambool Standard (Australia)
June 28, 2004

A TERANG man believes a meteorite whizzed past his head in the early
hours of the morning last week.

Denis Lakic was awoken when his cat fell out of a tree about 3am and was
outside, trying to tie up his dog, when he heard a whooshing sound above.

"Something banged down on the earth a couple of metres from me," Mr
Lakic said.

"It was dark, I couldn't see anything, so I went to bed and came back
out at seven o'clock in the morning.

"I walked out to have a look and there was a deep hole, about 18 inches,
and I got a spade and started digging around the rock."

Mr Lakic said the hole created by the rock was diagonal, suggesting it
had hit the ground at an angle.

He said the 250-gram object was seven or eight centimetres across and
was brown, red and other colours.

"It's very heavy. It's not a normal rock," the Hampden Street resident said.

"I think it's a meteorite. I'm not very scientific but it seems funny to me.

"I want to know what's going on."

A Bureau of Meteorology spokesman said the service got calls about
meteorites but they were referred to astronomy organisations.

"I do know every 30-odd million years one the size of Warrnambool hits
and wipes all of us out," he offered, less than encouragingly.