[meteorite-list] Meteorites / Mining Claims

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:44 2004

Dear List,
Art is correct, the claimant can't keep you off if you are not working
his claim for his claimed minerals/metals BUT, many claimants here in SW
WYOMING are filing the gold claims and the Diamond claims for "all
valuable minerals" so go figure what they are claiming...AND, they
usually call out the sheriff for anyone around the mill site, and one
needs to define the "mill site" as it can be patented and becomes
private. the BLM ranger really likes to be called out to harass some
"dumb ass flat lander" so, you have lots of friends everywhere if you
don't know if you belong where you are.... And, many carry buck shot.
It all boils down to the situation of knowing the land you are on BEFORE
going out hunting anything, except maybe trouble, doesn't take any
research to find that.
I think there is a great letter or five that were posted on this EXACT
subject back last summer in response to the easterners that wanted to
run all over with no respect for land ownership issues. The BLM web
site at BLM.gov can channel you to links to search lands by Long. and
Lat, and township, range and section as the claims are located that manner.
Best,
DAve Freeman mjwy