[meteorite-list] Mars Exploration Rovers Update - March 4, 2004

From: Howard Wu <freewu2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:46 2004

--0-1055827015-1078511573=:80125

>The science and engineering team built a whopping 490 commands to
accomplish
the most complex robotic arm operations on Mars yet. Opportunity took
three
mosaics on the area dubbed "Last Chance," using the microscopic imager,
creating 128 images in over 200 arm moves. Each "frame" of these
mosaics
required multiple microscopic images. There are two reasons for this.
First,
the microscopic imager does not have auto-focus,

My two hundred dollar camera has autofocus and weighs less than a pound while this eight hundred million dollar baby doesn't? Maybe we should have "outsource" to Sony. ;<)

Howard Wu

--0-1055827015-1078511573=:80125

<DIV>&gt;The science and engineering team built a whopping 490 commands to <BR>accomplish <BR>the most complex robotic arm operations on Mars yet. Opportunity took <BR>three <BR>mosaics on the area dubbed "Last Chance," using the microscopic imager, <BR>creating 128 images in over 200 arm moves. Each "frame" of these <BR>mosaics <BR>required multiple microscopic images. There are two reasons for this. <BR>First, <BR>the microscopic imager does not have auto-focus,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My two hundred dollar camera has autofocus and weighs less than a pound while this eight hundred million dollar baby doesn't? Maybe we should have "outsource" to Sony. ;&lt;)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
Yahoo! Messenger</b></a> - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends
--0-1055827015-1078511573=:80125--