[meteorite-list] NPA, 09-1946 Army Proposed Release of Made Meteorites

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:47 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0021_01C40366.786F15B0

Paper: Berkshire Evening Eagle
City: Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Date: Friday, September 6, 1946
Page: 12

Army Proposed Release of 'Made' Meteorites
PASADENA, Cal. (UP) - Artificial meteorites will be released 75 miles abo=
ve the Army Ordnance proving grounds at White Sands, N.M. It was revealed=
 here today, to aid study in inter-planetary rocket ships.
The meteorites, enclosed in the head of a German V-2 rocket, will be shot=
 into space above the earth's gravitational field by a new type of propel=
lant known only as "shaped charges,". Plans for the experiment, until now=
 listed as "classified information," were revealed by Dr. Josef Johnson o=
f the California Institute of Technology, which will conduct the tests in=
 co-operation with the Army.
"The meteorites will be composed of two types of small solid bodies, cont=
aining certain chemicals," Dr. Johnson explained, "Some of them may spin =
out with velocities exceeding seven miles a second and escape into outer =
space from the earth's gravity. Others may go out with a velocity suffici=
ent to equalize the earth's gravity and continue in a circle around the e=
arth like a tiny moon."

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_0021_01C40366.786F15B0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>Paper: Berkshire Evening Eagle</P> <P>City: Pittsfield, Massachusett=
s</P> <P>Date: Friday, September 6, 1946</P> <P>Page: 12</P> <P>&nbsp;</P=
> <P>Army Proposed Release of 'Made' Meteorites</P> <P>PASADENA, Cal. (UP=
) - Artificial meteorites will be released 75 miles above the Army Ordnan=
ce proving grounds at White Sands, N.M. It was revealed here today, to ai=
d study in inter-planetary rocket ships.</P> <P>The meteorites, enclosed =
in the head of a German V-2 rocket, will be shot into space above the ear=
th's gravitational field by a new type of propellant known only as "shape=
d charges,". Plans for the experiment, until now listed as "classified in=
formation," were revealed by Dr. Josef Johnson of the California Institut=
e of Technology, which will conduct the tests in co-operation with the Ar=
my.</P> <P>"The meteorites will be composed of two types of small solid b=
odies, containing certain chemicals," Dr. Johnson explained, "Some of the=
m may spin out with velocities exceeding seven miles a second and escape =
into outer space from the earth's gravity. Others may go out with a veloc=
ity sufficient to equalize the earth's gravity and continue in a circle a=
round the earth like a tiny moon."</P></FONT><BR><BR>Please visit, www.Me=
teoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor and meteorite artic=
les.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0021_01C40366.786F15B0--