[meteorite-list] Acetone: be carefull (re: Alcohol denaturing agents)

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:49 2004

*snip scarey acetone nightmare*. I probably had bad luck in that I might
>be somewhat oversensitive to the stuff,

A HECK of alot more than just 'somewhat oversensitive' I would say. Plenty
of people handle acetone exposure to no ill effect, such as auto shop
workers, nail techs at bueaty salons, ect. It's certainly nasty stuff, and
in the long term can have serious health effects, but for most people out
there occasional exposure isnt THAT big a deal. Good venilation IS always
prudent as you suggest though...

On a related note, I would be more worried not about the denaturing agents
used to make alcohol non suitable for human consumption, but rather the fact
that most 'consumer' grade denatured alcohol contains a fair bit of water,
anywhere from 1 to maybe 10%. if you are trying to conserve a meteorite,
your best bet would be to call a local chemcial supply house, and purchase
'ACS' grade solvents. ACS garde has a maximum limit of .05% water content.
Presumably if it's worth conserving, it's worth spending 20$ / gallon on the
'good stuff'