[meteorite-list] NPA 03-1880 Estherville Meteorite Fall, Thompson reference

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:49 2004

------=_NextPart_001_004E_01C40910.FA298BD0

Paper: Reno Evening Gazette
City: Reno, Nevada
Date: Thursday, March 25, 1880
Page: 1

The Iowa Meteorite
Prof. Thompson of the Minnesota State University examined and reported on=
 the great Iowa meteorite which fell last May. The day was cloudless, he =
says, when the meteorite passed through the air liek a ball of fire, and =
with a rumbling, crashing noise. It was seen along its course for several=
 hundred miles, terrifying the people greatly, and finally exploded, with=
 tremendous reports, near Esterville. Two large pieces fell two miles apa=
rt, penetrating several feet into hard soil, and many fragments were scat=
tered. The entire weight was about 800 pounds, the largest mass weighing =
470 pounds. The material was found to be chiefly iron.

Hello list,
This article is about the Estherville meteorite fall. Interest of note is=
 the reference that Thompson "examined and reported" the meteorite. Some =
you might remember a short article I wrote that explains Thompson's invol=
vement with the meteorite
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/Estherville.html
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_004E_01C40910.FA298BD0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>Paper: Reno Evening Gazette</P> <P>City: Reno, Nevada</P> <P>Date: T=
hursday, March 25, 1880</P> <P>Page: 1</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>The Iowa Mete=
orite</P> <P>Prof. Thompson of the Minnesota State University examined an=
d reported on the great Iowa meteorite which fell last May. The day was c=
loudless, he says, when the meteorite passed through the air liek a ball =
of fire, and with a rumbling, crashing noise. It was seen along its cours=
e for several hundred miles, terrifying the people greatly, and finally e=
xploded, with tremendous reports, near Esterville. Two large pieces fell =
two miles apart, penetrating several feet into hard soil, and many fragme=
nts were scattered. The entire weight was about 800 pounds, the largest m=
ass weighing 470 pounds. The material was found to be chiefly iron.</P> <=
P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Hello list,</P> <P>This article is about the Estherville =
meteorite fall. Interest of note is the reference that Thompson "examined=
 and reported" the meteorite. Some you might remember a short article I w=
rote that explains Thompson's involvement with the meteorite</P> <P>http:=
//www.meteoritearticles.com/Estherville.html</P> <P>Mark Bostick</P> <P>w=
ww.meteoritearticles.com</P></FONT><BR><BR>Please visit, www.MeteoriteArt=
icles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor and meteorite articles.</DIV>=
</BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_004E_01C40910.FA298BD0--