FW: [meteorite-list] OT: Manganese nodule auction

From: Jose Campos <josecamposcomet_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:50 2004

Hi Bob Verish and List,

The reference made to "rare manganese nodule samples from 3000 meters deep
on the Pacific Ocean floor", reminds me of when I used to live in South
Africa, I recall having read in a local Durban newspaper, about this south
african group of sea-divers who, - some 2 years before South West Africa
(which at the time, was a South African Protectorate), became an independent
country in 1990, as Namibia, - they were given a licence to explore a
portion of the sea-floor along the Skeleton Coast, and they used ships with
powerfull pumps and pipes to vacuum the sea bed, near the coast, for lots of
manganese nodules, most in 50 meter deep water - if my memory serves me
correct.

José