[meteorite-list] OT, Book Recommendation, Pluto

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:50 2004

--part1_1ef.1b9d1469.2d8866cc_boundary

Asunto: Re: [meteorite-list] OT, Book Recommendation, Pluto=A0 =20
Fecha: 03/16/2004 8:10:37 AM Mexico Standard Time =20
De: MexicoDoug =20
Para: knudson911_at_frontiernet.net =20
   =20

Tom,

Well it sound like you are looking for resources although the title says ...=
=20
book. The best bet might actually be a combination of dictionary and=20
internet.

Whether it is pro or con, she will need to start in the dictionary - a trust=
y=20
reference book.=A0 The term planet is not an astronomical nor technical term=
.=A0=20
It has its roots in concept of "wanderers" against the "fixed" stars of the=20
ancient ones.=A0 So the negative that your daughter would like to support co=
uld be=20
argued by saying the planets are only the wanderers believed to be recognize=
d=20
by the ancient ones, I don't think that will even include Uranus, definitely=
=20
not the gas giant Neptune, nor the moon sized Pluto, so there are only six=20
planets.=A0 While one might claim Neptune had been theoretically visible on=20=
a clear=20
ancient night to the naked eye to a person with telescopic vision, that woul=
d=20
be impossible with Pluto.

If she chooses the technical route, she can search on the internet for=20
orbital eccentricity and inclination of orbit in the solar plane and compare=
 the=20
planets.=A0 (Note planets go through the Zodiac, although the Zodiac actuall=
y=20
changes, check the constellation Pluto was in last year).=A0 Then she can se=
arch it=20
for formation of the inner and outer planets and why is Pluto not a gas gian=
t=20
if the other outer "planets" are.=A0 Addressing of course whether we have a=20
double standard for the outer and inner planets regarding gas giants and roc=
ks.

Then she can also ignore or the fact that the dictionary sometimes defines=20
asteroids as minor planets.=A0 The wander, have fixed orbits ... and as we k=
now=20
have even differentiated cores in some cases.=A0 That is a two edged axe so=20=
maybe=20
she can consider it, as although minor planet has the word planet in it, we=20
are not really taught by our expert kindergarten and primary school teachers=
=20
that Ceres for example is a planet.

Probably it is a much more persuasive argument that Ceres is a planet.

Hope she has fun.

Saludos
Doug Dawn
Mexico

En un mensaje con fecha 03/16/2004 12:24:05 AM Mexico Standard Time,=20
knudson911_at_frontiernet.net escribe:

> Asunto: [meteorite-list] OT, Book Recommendation, Pluto=20
> Fecha: 03/16/2004 12:24:05 AM Mexico Standard Time
> De: knudson911_at_frontiernet.net
> Para: meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
> Enviado por Internet=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Hello List,
> I was wondering if I could get your help.=A0 My daughter is doing
> persuasive-research essay.=A0 Her topic of choice is:=A0 Pluto should not=20=
be
> considered a planet.=A0 Does anybody know of any resources that could help=
 her
> justify her argument?
> Thanks, Tom
> peregrineflier <><
> Proudest member of the YMCA # OU812
>=20

--part1_1ef.1b9d1469.2d8866cc_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Asunto: <B>Re: [meteorite-list] OT,=
 Book Recommendation, Pluto=A0</B> <BR>