[meteorite-list] Planet definition

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:51 2004

--part1_b4.2978b4cd.2d89d48b_boundary

Hola Tom,

Like in many areas of science, astronomy we humans come up pretty short when
we try to generalize. To me there should be no controversy, just fun in
learning more about nature. Philosophically, and quite relevant to this issue, is
whether humankind, or a subset of humankind, is able to generalize
successfully to understand the Universe or even "just" the Solar System.
(I enjoyed the poem posted very much, thanks Francis)

The question conveniently set up for debate when taken too seriously: Pluto
is or isn't a planet, The topic is a convenient laboratory to learn about Pluto
and the failure of humans to successfully generalize and compartmentalize
everything neatly for consumption at the elementary schooling level. Pluto is
what Pluto is, and for that matter Earth is what it is, and the concept of
planet has no meaning other than conventions assigned. As a biologist, I am sure
Nininger understood this well. The Solar system doesn't bend to elementary
school definitions and more than to the definition of genus in biology. We all
know a heck of a lot about Pluto, and we are pretty short when it comes to
knowing what a planet is since defining a planet is not part of the requirement
of having a Solar System.

So perhaps Jupiter is a star, and not a planet, it does radiate a lot more
energy than it absorbs, doesn't it? The Jovians certainly would have a
different perspective on whether Earth qualifies as a planet. We are just a little
bigger than Ceres to them. Mars is pretty small and relatively devoid of
atmosphere too... So the best we can do is learn about the Solar System and accept
it for what it is, rather than dictate to the heavenly bodies what they are...
So if one body rotates opposite to others, is inclined the "wrong" way on its
axis, has an orbit out of wack or used to be a satellite, then so what. If
Mercury were orbiting Jupiter it wouldn't be a "considered" a planet.

Pluto is a planet by convention, as is Jupiter. No two planets are alike.
They are all just accidental matter floating around in our near space following
the laws of the universe with no special need to conform to definition
authorities.

I hope your daughter is able to consider this as well. You might remind her
that the Earth is round because we say it is. But really it really is more
elliptical and has an irregular surface. There is something to be learned about
debating whether the Earth is round, but it is not whether it can be
considered definitively a sphere or not. There is a fine line between understanding
and preaching about the Solar System. Most of us cross it to make our points,
but the Solar System continues to revolve and evolve independent of our
conceptualization of each individual member of the Solar family.

Saludos
Doug Dawn
Mexico

En un mensaje con fecha 03/17/2004 9:42:53 AM Mexico Standard Time,
knudson911_at_frontiernet.net escribe:

> Asunto: Re: [meteorite-list] Planet definition
> Fecha: 03/17/2004 9:42:53 AM Mexico Standard Time
> De: knudson911_at_frontiernet.net
> Para: ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_saic.com, ltcrose@bellsouth.net,
> Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
> Enviado por Internet
>

> Hello List, I am a firm believer that Pluto is not a planet, I feel it is
> to small and it's orbit is not like any of the other eight planets, so I
> would have to say size is not the best way to define a planet but the shape
> of it's orbit. : ) How many planets cross orbits of other planets?
> Second thing, I have absolutely nothing to back this, it is just a
> feeling, but I think Pluto and Charon were both Moons of a larger planet
> that, in some big event, got sucked out on there own, and thats why they
> float around together. Is this at all possible?
>
> Thanks, Tom
> peregrineflier <><
> Proudest member of the YMCA # OU812

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Hola Tom,<BR>
<BR>
Like in many areas of science, astronomy we humans come up pretty short when=
 we try to generalize.&nbsp; To me there should be no controversy, just fun=20=
in learning more about nature.&nbsp; Philosophically, and quite relevant to=20=
this issue, is whether humankind, or a subset of humankind, is able to gener=
alize successfully to understand the Universe or even "just" the Solar Syste=
m.<BR>
(I enjoyed the poem posted very much, thanks Francis)<BR>
<BR>
The question conveniently set up for debate when taken too seriously: Pluto=20=
is or isn't a planet, The topic is a convenient laboratory to learn about Pl=
uto and the failure of humans to successfully generalize and compartmentaliz=
e everything neatly for consumption at the elementary schooling level.&nbsp;=
 Pluto is what Pluto is, and for that matter Earth is what it is, and the co=
ncept of planet has no meaning&nbsp; other than conventions assigned.&nbsp;=20=
As a biologist, I am sure Nininger understood this well.&nbsp; The Solar sys=
tem doesn't bend to elementary school definitions and more than to the defin=
ition of genus in biology.&nbsp; We all know a heck of a lot about Pluto, an=
d we are pretty short when it comes to knowing what a planet is since defini=
ng a planet is not part of the requirement of having a Solar System.<BR>
<BR>
So perhaps Jupiter is a star, and not a planet, it does radiate a lot more e=
nergy than it absorbs, doesn't it?&nbsp; The Jovians certainly would have a=20=
different perspective on whether Earth qualifies as a planet. We are just a=20=
little bigger than Ceres to them.&nbsp; Mars is pretty small and relatively=20=
devoid of atmosphere too...&nbsp; So the best we can do is learn about the S=
olar System and accept it for what it is, rather than dictate to the heavenl=
y bodies what they are... So if one body rotates opposite to others, is incl=
ined the "wrong" way on its axis, has an orbit out of wack or used to be a s=
atellite, then so what.&nbsp; If Mercury were orbiting Jupiter it wouldn't b=
e a "considered" a planet.<BR>
<BR>
Pluto is a planet by convention, as is Jupiter.&nbsp; No two planets are ali=
ke.&nbsp; They are all just accidental matter floating around in our near sp=
ace following the laws of the universe with no special need to conform to de=
finition authorities.<BR>
<BR>
I hope your daughter is able to consider this as well.&nbsp; You might remin=
d her that the Earth is round because we say it is.&nbsp; But really it real=
ly is more elliptical and has an irregular surface.&nbsp; There is something=
 to be learned about debating whether the Earth is round, but it is not whet=
her it can be considered definitively a sphere or not.&nbsp; There is a fine=
 line between understanding and preaching about the Solar System.&nbsp; Most=
 of us cross it to make our points, but the Solar System continues to revolv=
e and evolve independent of our conceptualization of each individual member=20=
of the Solar family.<BR>
<BR>
Saludos<BR>
Doug Dawn<BR>
Mexico<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
En un mensaje con fecha 03/17/2004 9:42:53 AM Mexico Standard Time, knudson9=
11_at_frontiernet.net escribe:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Asunto: <B>Re: [meteorite-list]=
 Planet definition </B><BR>