[meteorite-list] Tough question for collectors

From: User5013_at_aol.com <User5013_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:52 2004

--part1_1e5.1bd3aa5e.2d8ed3c6_boundary

Hi,

I'm an amateur jeweler who makes awards & medallions for a couple clubs I
belong to. I've been asked to make several medallions for an award called a
"Guide Star."

Previously, I have made them of silver, Sterling, even gold. I now have a
client who wants to sponsor four medallions -- and wants to make them very
special. Since the award is a Guide Star, he thinks it would be neat to make
this set of four medallions out of a true star -- a meteorite.

Sounds like a cool idea to me, but I have no real knowledge of the raw
material. While searching the web, I've discovered great passion for collecting
that I was completely unaware of. Such incredible passion, that I'm now very
unsure of whether to proceed with the project.

I'm certain that recasting the iron-nickel alloy would destroy the
Widmanstaetten figures which are so prized among collectors. Yet, I cannot think of
another process by which I would make the medallions. (I am, after all, only
an amateur.)

Before I go any further with this project, I'm asking your people for
information. I seek opinions from collectors (pro, con, philosophy). I also seek
functional information (melting temperature and density comes to mind). A
medallion of silver weighs 4 ounces, so how much meteorite . . .?

Anything you could provide would be most helpful before I continue. Please
no flame-ing, yet.

Thank you,
Jay Toser
user5013_at_aol.com
135 Lazy Lake Dr.
Fall River WI 53932

--part1_1e5.1bd3aa5e.2d8ed3c6_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Hel=
vetica" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2">Hi,<BR>
<BR>
I'm an amateur jeweler who makes awards &amp; medallions for a couple clubs=20=
I belong to.&nbsp; I've been asked to make several medallions for an award=20=
called a "Guide Star."<BR>
<BR>
Previously, I have made them of silver, Sterling, even gold.&nbsp; I now ha=
ve a client who wants to sponsor four medallions -- and wants to make them v=
ery special.&nbsp; Since the award is a Guide Star, he thinks it would be n=
eat to make this set of four medallions out of a true star -- a meteorite.<B=

<BR>
Sounds like a cool idea to me, but I have no real knowledge of the raw mater=
ial.&nbsp; While searching the web, I've discovered great passion for colle=
cting that I was completely unaware of.&nbsp; Such incredible passion, that=
 I'm now very unsure of whether to proceed with the project.<BR>
<BR>
I'm certain that recasting the iron-nickel alloy would destroy the Widmansta=
etten figures which are so prized among collectors.&nbsp; Yet, I cannot thi=
nk of another process by which I would make the medallions.&nbsp; (I am, af=
ter all, only an amateur.)<BR>
<BR>
Before I go any further with this project, I'm asking your people for inform=
ation.&nbsp; I seek opinions from collectors (pro, con, philosophy).&nbsp;=20=
 I also seek functional information (melting temperature and density comes t=
o mind).&nbsp; A medallion of silver weighs 4 ounces, so how much meteorite=
 . . .?<BR>
<BR>
Anything you could provide would be most helpful before I continue.&nbsp; P=
lease no flame-ing, yet.<BR>
<BR>
Thank you,<BR>
Jay Toser<BR>
user5013_at_aol.com<BR>
135 Lazy Lake Dr.<BR>
Fall River&nbsp; WI&nbsp; 53932</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Gene=
va" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2"></FONT></HTML>

--part1_1e5.1bd3aa5e.2d8ed3c6_boundary--