[meteorite-list] Heat-treating tektites

From: Norman Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:56 2004

Rob & list,

The last post clarifies the question a bit. A few
years ago I received a large shipment of Lei gong mo.
Included with these were a couple of dozen specimens
with strong carnival-glass-like patinas, a full
rainbow of submetallic colors. I have seen weaker
examples of this sort of patina on old bottles that
have been through fires. My guess was that the
tektites may have been through a warehouse fire or
some such thing. Clearly there is some process that
will cause tektites to develop carnival-glass type
films, and I don't think it is a natural process or we
would see this more often. While not exactly a change
in the glass color, this can yield a profound change
in appearance. I would be interested to hear if
anyone knows anything about the manufacture of
carnival glass.

Cheers,

Norm Lehrman
(http://tektitesource.com)