[meteorite-list] 'Rites & Wrong Cartoon (2), and Mike Farmer's Park Forest

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:56 2004

--part1_1a6.22099560.2d9a2181_boundary

En un mensaje con fecha 03/29/2004 4:56:01 PM Mexico Standard Time,
thebigcollector_at_msn.com escribe:

> Such thefts did not occur in Park Forest and I resent the implication that
> they did.

For those of us not fortunate enough to have the resources to visit the fair
town of Park Forest Illinois and partake in the thrilling permitted hunting,
this is interesting to read about, considering I am always hearing about how
dangerous Mexico is to travel in and whether it's true or not, I don't much like
hearing it.

Without confronting the alledged racist content which is not my place to
opine on your culture, of what was alledged to be an innocent cartoon, this got me
thinking about politics in general. Is it true that Mike Farmer was
blackmailed in Park Forest by the Village Manager and forced to give up something he
honestly purchased in good faith? I don't find any of this humorous anymore,
as I assume that this Village Manager person represents the interests of the
Village of Park Forest as she uses the official email of Park Forest. I really
am nort interested in the legality of all this, but just would like to make a
point that the next time someone from north of the Border tells me about
Mexico, check to see if all back home on the farm is as rosy as you think.

A little internet browsing on Park Forest turns up an African-American guy
who was stopped for a traffic violation, denied his lawyer, then beaten and
tortured by racist police officers (said officers convicted of racism) and given
the death penalty for a murder he tried to deny but was hooded and nearly
smothered by a typewriter cover, and denied food and bathroom for many hours until
forced to sign a clearly coerced confession.

It also turns up another case of a young woman unloading the groceries from
her car who was then butchered to death by a knife wielding 15 year old in Park
Forest, who was not allowed a (parental and) lawyer visit in accordance with
Miranda rights.

Interestingly, it also turns up a long essay by a person who seems to be
respectful, complaining about the lack of funding for public school in Park
Forest, as she complains that since the town of Park Forest was founded it has gone
downhill as its mall was basically vacated in favor of other better situated
places, leaving the town mall in unacceptable shape. The writer patriotically
points out that the town sold some property to counteract the downward trend
for a apparently fair $350,000 or so, but then sent them their tax bill
assessment of basically the same amount, causing him to have to walk (sounds like
Farmer's dilemma?). The author? Janet Murchnik.

Finally in its population of about 24,000 people, crime statistics are
available...two murders a year, 20 rapes a year, 20 robberies a year, all about
constant, but burglary (up 21% to 155), larceny (up 27% to 468) and assault (up
42% to 54) are very disturbing as they showed dramatic increases. (2002 / 2001)
.

I would like to congratulate Park Forest for hiring two new police officers
last week to combat this type of problem. But if this is a safe town as the
tone of the Village suggests, and if Wichita Kansas is right up there with
it....PF, a Pueblo of 24,000 souls ... that's smaller than most major university
student bodies. That is a very very dangerous place by international standards.
 and it is considered safer than surrounding communities? (Actually, Olympia
Fields seems much more safe per the statistics, so I am not sure about that).

Perhaps Mark will even consider taking down his cartoon, if he were treated
with respect instead of the aggressive overtures of guilty before deliberation:
as it is clear why PF is so sensitive to these issues, but in this case I
don't understand why this type of polarization must come to the list. I do
understand Mark's problem: he has been accused of something that is considered
reason to be removed from the IMCA ... so he is forced to speak up as he feels he
is innocent ... Why is he being walked into a corner? What ever happened to
respect and friendliness to get things done? How wonderful the meteorite chose
to make Park Forest special. I hope the town can make the best of it. A lot
of the natives were probably pretty happy with the needed income they
received from the meteorite hunters, publicity, and indirect income.
Congratulations!

Saludos
Doug
Mexico

--part1_1a6.22099560.2d9a2181_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">En un mensaje con fecha 03/29/2004=20=
4:56:01 PM Mexico Standard Time, thebigcollector_at_msn.com escribe:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Such thefts did not occur in Pa=
rk Forest and I resent the implication that they did.&nbsp; </BLOCKQUOTE><BR=

<BR>
For those of us not fortunate enough to have the resources to visit the fair=
 town of Park Forest Illinois and partake in the thrilling permitted hunting=
, this is interesting to read about, considering I am always hearing about h=
ow dangerous Mexico is to travel in and whether it's true or not, I don't mu=
ch like hearing it.<BR>
<BR>
Without confronting the alledged racist content which is not my place to opi=
ne on your culture, of what was alledged to be an innocent cartoon, this got=
 me thinking about politics in general.&nbsp; Is it true that Mike Farmer wa=
s blackmailed in Park Forest by the Village Manager and forced to give up so=
mething he honestly purchased in good faith?&nbsp; I don't find any of this=20=
humorous anymore, as I assume that this Village Manager person represents th=
e interests of the Village of Park Forest as she uses the official email of=20=
Park Forest.&nbsp; I really am nort interested in the legality of all this,=20=
but just would like to make a point that the next time someone from north of=
 the Border tells me about Mexico, check to see if all back home on the farm=
 is as rosy as you think.<BR>
<BR>
A little internet browsing on Park Forest turns up an African-American guy w=
ho was stopped for a traffic violation, denied his lawyer, then beaten and t=
ortured by racist police officers (said officers convicted of racism) and gi=
ven the death penalty for a murder he tried to deny but was hooded and nearl=
y smothered by a typewriter cover, and denied food and bathroom for many hou=
rs until forced to sign a clearly coerced confession.<BR>
<BR>
It also turns up another case of a young woman unloading the groceries from=20=
her car who was then butchered to death by a knife wielding 15 year old in P=
ark Forest, who was not allowed a (parental and) lawyer visit in accordance=20=
with Miranda rights.<BR>
<BR>
Interestingly, it also turns up a long essay by a person who seems to be res=
pectful, complaining about the lack of funding for public school in Park For=
est, as she complains that since the town of Park Forest was founded it has=20=
gone downhill as its mall was basically vacated in favor of other better sit=
uated places, leaving the town mall in unacceptable shape.&nbsp; The writer=20=
patriotically points out that the town sold some property to counteract the=20=
downward trend for a apparently fair $350,000 or so, but then sent them thei=
r tax bill assessment of basically the same amount, causing him to have to w=
alk (sounds like Farmer's dilemma?).&nbsp; The author?&nbsp; Janet Murchnik.=
<BR>
<BR>
Finally in its population of about 24,000 people, crime statistics are avail=
able...two murders a year, 20 rapes a year, 20 robberies a year, all about c=
onstant, but burglary (up 21% to 155), larceny (up 27% to 468) and assault (=
up 42% to 54) are very disturbing as they showed dramatic increases. (2002 /=
 2001) .<BR>
<BR>
I would like to congratulate Park Forest for hiring two new police officers=20=
last week to combat this type of problem.&nbsp; But if this is a safe town a=
s the tone of the Village suggests, and if Wichita Kansas is right up there=20=
with it....PF, a Pueblo of 24,000 souls ... that's smaller than most major u=
niversity student bodies.&nbsp; That is a very very dangerous place by inter=
national standards.&nbsp; and it is considered safer than surrounding commun=
ities?&nbsp; (Actually, Olympia Fields seems much more safe per the statisti=
cs, so I am not sure about that).<BR>
<BR>
Perhaps Mark will even consider taking down his cartoon, if he were treated=20=
with respect instead of the aggressive overtures of guilty before deliberati=
on: as it is clear why PF is so sensitive to these issues, but in this case=20=
I don't understand why this type of polarization must come to the list.&nbsp=
; I do understand Mark's problem: he has been accused of something that is c=
onsidered reason to be removed from the IMCA ... so he is forced to speak up=
 as he feels he is innocent ... Why is he being walked into a corner?&nbsp;=20=
What ever happened to respect and friendliness to get things done?&nbsp; How=
 wonderful the meteorite chose to make Park Forest special.&nbsp; I hope the=
 town can make the best of it.&nbsp; A lot of the natives were probably pret=
ty happy with the needed income they received from the meteorite hunters, pu=
blicity, and indirect income.&nbsp; Congratulations!<BR>
<BR>
Saludos<BR>
Doug<BR>
Mexico</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1a6.22099560.2d9a2181_boundary--