[meteorite-list] Heat-treating tektites

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:56 2004

Norm,

I have seen this type of 'carnival' style glass being made, what they do
is heat the glass up (such as a vase or wine glass) to dull red, and dip
it into a fine powdered metallic salt, (such as cobalt or stannus
chloride, or even uranium salts) depending on the colour(s) required
they also dip the hot glass into several different compounds so that
different colours are obtained. Sometimes the glass is then re-baked in
a kiln to re melt the surface which creates even more patterens, cleaver
stuff.

I guess if you could heat a tektite (without it cracking or shattering!)
then dipped it into the chosen powder you'd get similar results.=20

Why Anyone would want to do this is a complete mystery!!! Although I
could see the appeal of a green moldavite wine glass !

Cheers

Mark Ford