[meteorite-list] Sudbury Onaping query

From: Charles O'Dale <codale0806_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:57 2004

Dave:

From: Isotopic evidence for a single impact melting origin of the Sudbury
Igneous Complex, A.P. Dickin it al., "Based on the available isotopic and
geochemical data, it is suggested that the SIC resulted from a single impact
melting event that gave rise to the whole complex entirely from crustal
sources." IE: no bolide material survived the impact.

Hope this helps.

Roman:

The carbon (soot) that was found in the crater and dated to the time of
impact was an enigma as there was no life on land 1.8 billion years ago at
the time of the Sudbury impact.

[hypothesis] A biogenic origin of the carbonaceous material (soot) found in
the black Whitewater Group is theoretically caused by the
evaporation/condensation from the hot impact fireball and/or from a later
global cloud.

Chuck

http://www.ottawa.rasc.ca/astronomy/earth_craters/index.html

PS: I will be publishing an article on my exploration trip through the
Sudbury Impact structure later in the spring.