[meteorite-list] Movies of Meteorites That Are for Sale

From: Walter Branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun May 2 09:46:43 2004

Hello Everyone,

I had too much free time yesterday (rainy day in Georgia) and I thought I would experiment with taking small movies of meteorites that are for sale. I did some avi movies of me holding some NWA 869. This would give the potential buyer a chance to view the meteorite in "3-d" in addition to the usual "2-d" image. These are 10 second or so clips, which I took using my digital camera (which also does limited movies).

Anyway, I compressed the files down to 1.2 - 1.5 mb with the DivX 5.02 codec. There is a little loss of quality but the file sizes are significantly reduced. I also realize that the file sizes are still large for those without a broadband connection. Still images are also provided.

If you don't have the codec you can download it from my site. A link is provided.

For those who are interested, please have a look and tell me what you think. Are small movies helpful? Not helpful? Distracting? The greatest thing since the mass spectrometer? Don't care one way or the other?

My thought was that it may be helpful for sellers to provide such movies, where feasible, for larger or more expensive items, as a way to help the buyer make a decision.

Here is the URL:
http://branchmeteorites.com/sale/salenwa869.html

Best wishes,

Walter