[meteorite-list] GOLD and DIAMOND Meteorites!!!

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun May 2 17:31:25 2004

> Well, ya'll got my imagination a'churnin' again. Whatta Whopper of
> a Concept. And who's to say that it couldn't happen. It's really just a
> matter of scale and chance. Long odds, granted, but we have already
> found stranger surprises in this old universe. I can almost smell the
> headlines now ... REUTERS: 05.06.04, 06:30 AM ET Scientists Using
> Hubble Telescope Take Pictures of Humongous Collision of Giant
> Diamond Asteroid and Huge Gold Nugget Asteroid...

Ahem ...,

Subjectf: Report - Gold Meteorites Bombarded Young Planet Earth
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:48:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_zagami.jpl.nasa.gov>

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/space_gold_000726.html

Report: Gold Meteorites Bombarded Young
Planet Earth (By Lee Siegel, 26 July 2000)

Even if all marriages are not made in heaven, the wedding rings may come from
outer space. A new study suggests that when Earth was born, internal processes
within a subterranean ocean of molten rock could not have produced the known
abundance of gold, platinum, palladium and other so-called "iron-loving" elements.
So the findings support a competing theory that a barrage of gargantuan meteorites
coated Earth with a veneer relatively rich in gold and related elements. The bombard-
ment purportedly happened after the planet formed, and the iron-rich core had
separated from the silicate-rich mantle.

Best (golden) wishes,

Bernd

To: jwal2000_at_swbell.net
    meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com