[meteorite-list] caliche cleaning and Parnallee question

From: Dave Harris <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 10 12:12:03 2004

Hi,
Thinking about caliche - as it is mainly calcium carbonate , a wash with
HCl would probably nuke it - however, I have got a 66g lump of Dean's CV3
and it is relatively riddled for the first 0.5cms to 1cm with caliche veins
- I suspect that a dunk in HCl may cause fragments of the meteorite to break
away....

Also, having just bought a 40g slice of Parnallee (Wow!!!) can any one
confirm whether it is a L3.6 or an LL3.6?

just my 2 euros worth

dave