[meteorite-list] Tatahouine and Slickensides

From: Steve Witt <stelor96_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 11 00:21:20 2004

Greetings List,

Slickensides has been a topic brought up many times on the list. I'm
still not exactly clear on what this is and I'd like to get a
clarification. I recently acquired a small fragment of Tatahouine
from Anne Black at Impactika. Besides having some fusion crust the
specimen shows striations very similar to those seen in shattercones.
(Thanks Anne for a beautiful and interesting specimen) Is this
slickensides? I've included links to five images;

No magnification -
http://www.geocities.com/stelor96/Tatahouine028.jpg

10X Magnification -
http://www.geocities.com/stelor96/Tatahouine045.jpg

Another view at 10X -
http://www.geocities.com/stelor96/Tatahouine044.jpg

Another at 10X -
http://www.geocities.com/stelor96/Tatahouine005.jpg

Finally one at 20X -
http://www.geocities.com/stelor96/Tatahouine020.jpg

The striations are very similar to those I've seen in Shattercones,
but never in a meteorite. There is a radial pattern and if the
specimen were larger I believe the lines would converge at some
point. There are also areas of the specimen (on the same side) where
the lines appear at different angles to each other.

So, my question is, is this slickensides or if not, can someone out
there tell me what this is.

I appreciate any and all help.

thanx,
Steve