[meteorite-list] Utah KT and strange rock contents sliced in half

From: Charles Viau <cviau_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 12 03:24:29 2004

Hello List,

I am getting around to analyzing the rock samples obtained from my KT
Boundary quest in Utah last year. This Rock shown was eliptical, like a
number of samples taken from an exposed KT strata in Utah, in the
Escalante region (Staircase). The first image is the rock cut in half,
presented on a scanner for hi-res. The second is a picture of the KT
area it was taken from.

There were a lot of these rounded, egg shaped rocks in this strata.
They represent some kind of glassy material, and there is metal in them.
There are also some clasts of a burgundy gem or chip scattered
throughout. This stuff looks a lot like some of the Wanapitei impact
melt (in consistency) that I purchased a few years ago. The rock looks
like a breccia, but I am not so sure. Anyone want to hazard a guess as
to what this stuff is? I will gladly send a sample to anyone qualified
and really cares enough to give it a proper analysis. Thanks,

http://home.beld.net/~belugaband/ebay_images/EKSPHERE.jpg
http://home.beld.net/~belugaband/ebay_images/EKT.jpg

Oh, and if anyone cares, the band I am in , Belugaband, is
www.belugaband.com , where these images are stored.

Thanks

CharlyV