AW: [meteorite-list] Classification

From: Jörn Koblitz <koblitz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 12 09:59:40 2004

Dear Tom,

The reason is rather simple: nickel test is only applicable to iron meteorites. For stony meteorites - about 90% of all meteorites - it would not give clear doubtless results and it even would contaminate the meteorite. In case of iron meteorites, the easiest way to identify the cosmic origin is to etch a blank surface using nitric or hydrochloric acid to see if a Widmanst?tten pattern is present. Often - especially in case of medium and coarse octahedrites - one can even see this structure on a cut, untreated surface, because of different mechanical properties of contained kamacite and plessite/taenite. In the rare case, that no Widmanst?tten pattern is existant (ataxites or hexahedrites), the nickel test would indeed help to disciminate the cosmic from a terrestrial origin.

Best regards,
Jorn Koblitz