[meteorite-list] message from Eddie Garza

From: Walter Branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu May 13 21:03:29 2004

Hi Michael,

Thanks for forwarding this. This is about as funny as that tektite ad you
forwarded to the list about 5 or so years ago.

Let's have some fun, shall we?

>initially wanted local geologists to check out

Good for him!

>his find, but the man later balked.

Sounds like the pitching staff for the Atlanta Braves of the 1980s.

>yard reads "Home of the Meteorite" - said early

Well, at least he didn't call it a "meteor."

>It is about the size of a computer monitor and weighs
>more than 200 pounds.

Sounds like my mother-in-law.

>said his attorney advised him that he shouldn't let anyone
>look at the rock without speaking to the attorney first.

The man or the rock?
Did the rock break the law?
Illegal trespass, perhaps?

>He also said he didn't want to contact the attorney.

Note to reporter - clarification needed.

>Suarez, who said he had three doctorates from the
>University of California at Los Angeles and an Ivy
>League school

Psychological note: psychotic and delusional people are often very bright.

..but then the psychotic and/or delusional symptoms kind of detract from the
brightness.

>hopes to sell the rock to a museum,

I read a while back about a museum dedicated to doorknobs, but I could not
remember where it was located. Apparently someone else knows the
whereabouts of the museum..

>and said he has had offers from tabloid newspaper for
>hundreds of thousands of dollars.

...for the story... the rock... all the man's doorknobs?

Clarification needed...

>Suarez said he and his wife walked about a half-mile
>off the side of the interstate and found the meteor,
>"glowing orange."

Sounds like a basketball that has been set ablaze.

>"There was steam coming out of all these holes,"

well, obviously a meteorite...
no Earth rock would dare to have steam coming out
of it's holes.

>They put the rock onto a blanket, hauled it a half-mile to
>their Chevrolet Cavalier

So let me get this straight. He and his wife walked a half mile into the
desert, found the burning b-ball, and dragged it a half-mile back.

Looks like all you guys with metal detectors, eye witness reports, etc. have
been doing it wrong all these years. Think of the meteorites you would find
if you would only use the "Suarez method."

>put it in the trunk and drove it home, Suarez said.

without any fear that the glowing, steam emitting b-ball would ignite the
gas in the gas tank.

fearless individuals...

>However, no news of a meteor reached Lowell
>Observatory in Flagstaff, Ariz.,a privately owned
>astronomical research institution founded in 1894 by
>Percival Lowell, the man who discovered the planet
>Pluto.

Astronomical Note #1: Correction. Pluto was discovered by Clyde Tombaugh in
1930.

Here is a hastily photographed philatelic cover which I created back in 1995
for the 65th anniversary of Tombaugh's discovery. Clyde kindly signed and
inscribed it for me few months before his death on January 17, 1997.
http://www.branchmeteorites.com/misc/pluto.jpg

Astronomical note #2: The name "Pluto" was suggested by Venetia Bierney, an
11 year old girl living in England. The name was agreed upon by the staff
at the Observatory.

Okay, that one mistake blows the credibility of the whole story for me :-)

>"If there really was a meteor as big as he says, it would
>have been spectacular," said Brian Skiff, a research
> assistant at Lowell Observatory.

Get em, Brian!!!

>Since Suarez brought the rock into his home, he said,
>strange things have happened.

>"All our watches have gone haywire," he said.

>"The clocks in the house either go way far ahead or they
>stop."

Well, get yourself an atomic clock synchronized to the US Navel Observatory
and forget about those cheap Wal- Mart knock offs.

...but really, what is time anyway...

>Suarez also said the rock repels magnets

turn the rock 180 degrees around

or turn the magnet 180 degrees around...

(get it)

>and even has jiggled.

(Oh, the possibilities with that one but I'll just write...)

Again, sounds like my mother-in-law.

>A white splotch on the bottom of the rock appears to be >a coating of
calcium carbonate, which would indicate
>that the rock has been sitting on the Earth for a
>considerable period, according to the Blounts.

Upon closer examination, it reads "Spaulding"

>Allan Treiman, a scientist who specializes in meteorites
>at the Lunar and Planetary Institute in Houston, looked
>at a photo of the rock Monday and said he was "100
>percent" sure it was lava rock - the same type of rock
>people use in barbecues. "

C'mon, Allan. How do you know it's not from a Martain BBQ. Or Venusian for
that matter.

scientists, huh..

-Walter

www.branchmeteorites.com