[meteorite-list] A new natural, super-hard, transparent polymorph of carbon from the Popigai impact crater, Russia

From: meteoriteshow <meteoriteshow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 14 04:07:44 2004

Dear Listees,

I have read an article published in C.R. Geoscience 335 (2003) 889-898 and presented by Jean-Paul Poirier, that a new cristalline polymorph of carbon was discovered in gneisses of the Popigai crater, Russia. It is even harder than lonsdaleite and diamond, which makes it a great discovery, and its Raman spectrum had never been detected in any kind of terrestrial nor extra-terrestrial material before...
Should any of you be interested in the full article in pdf format, please send me an e-mail and I will forward it. In the other hand, Does anybody have any more recent information about this new species, or know weither it has been detected in any other kind of material since then ? If yes, I will appreciate if you can tell me more about it.

The labs involved in this research job and discovery are :
- Max Planck-Institut - Mainz - Germany
- Bayerisches Geoinstitut - Bayreuth - Germany
- Laboratoire des sceinces de la Terre - ENS Lyon - France
- European Synchrotron Facility - Grenoble - France
- CRCT - Montreal - Quebec - Canada
- Karpinsky Geological Institut - Saint Petersburg - Russia

I thank you in advance for any news that you may have!
All the best.

Frederic Beroud
www.meteoriteshow.com
IMCA #2491