[meteorite-list] mafic igneous rocks

From: E. L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 19 19:04:48 2004

Virtualy all the ferro-magnesium silicates (pyroxenes, amphiboles etc)
are by definition iron bearing. I don't think they are magneticlly
attractive. Magnetite, usually in very small grains, can occur in
them. Alteration by water can produce hematite which can be
magnetically attractive and usually is. I just observed a sample where
a film of hemitite was less than a half milimeter thick and it made my
magnetic wand jump to it as if it were iron plate.

Elton