[meteorite-list] Nininger to Perry Letter; Nov. 26, 1952

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 19 20:19:30 2004

(American Meteorite Museum Letterhead)
AMERICAN METEORITE MUSUEM
OPPOSITE METEOR CRATER ON HIGHWAY 66
POST OFFICE BOX 1171
WINSLOW ARIZONA

November 26, 1952
Mr. S. H. Perry
Adrian, Michigan

Dear Mr. Perry:
Your letter of November 20 at hand. I am packing the Tambo Q slice and will send it by registered mail next trip to town.
I am glad to hear that work is progessing on the little iron that pecked the man's hat. I had begun to worry lest it had been lost.
I have never been able to understand why nickel should always be associated with iron in meteorites if the generally accepted theory of origin is correct. If a planet such as Mars has exploded we may safely assume that some iron ore at its surface was reduced was we have no reason to suppose there was nickel associated. In its core we may assume the two metals were associated just as we assume that they were associated in the earth's core. By this sort of reasoning we should be led to expert that rarely meteorites contain iron without associated nickel.
How does this explanation look to you?
Cordially,
(signed)
H.H. Nininger
HHN: AN
(Mark Note: Perry has written Tambo Quemado on the top of the letterhead, this is the complete name of the meteorite referenced above).

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor and meteorite articles.