[meteorite-list] From my kitchen...

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 24 06:10:37 2004

Hi folks, I am writing right from my kitchen now, as I approached there
around 10:15 GMT. Not many people know about my kitchen, but I do. Now I am
here. I wonder, if I should open the fridge now and should make public, what
I'll find inside, before other fridge hunters will break the secret right
here on the list.
Lot of traffic here, three cats, two from the neighbourhood - professional
fridge watchers, although Monday is the worst day for breakfast here in
central Europe. Shops closed on Sunday, no fresh bread....Recently a well
known researchers team found some hints, that leaving home without breakfast
could cause an ulcus.
Found some old cheese. No pictures available. Guess I will offer some slices
exclusively to the list, 2$/gm, before I will dedicate the main mass to
science, as it has some strange greenish layers inside (sediments??),
similar to Sir Divelbiss' Martian Gabbro surrogates. So hush, hush, get it,
while it's old.
And, what is this..... wow, a tupperware box full of howardite slices!! I
forgot to unpack, after I returned from the Gifhorn show.
M a r v e l l o u s. Three different. Two classical ones and a totally
disturbed one. Two are non-NWAs, so those have correct find data and no
troubles with the paired stuff, where each stone gets his own NWA-number,
because each dealer bought a stone and got an own classification for it,
rushing the poor collectors into buying with the super-low-tkw-gimmick,
while the uncle from Morocco has still a lorryload of the material in his
cellar.
And how thin they are cut! Some have a square inch, weighing in below 2
grams. And quite fresh. One is W1-W2, the other W2, the third has some
glossy crust...have to look for the data.

Humm, the neighbour cats are not interested in meteorites and my little
black one likes more the irons, because they cause more noise, when they are
kicked through the house.....so I should sell the stuff.
But would it be a good idea to post it on the central list? I find on the
dealers pages desert howardites, often in fat amorph chunks, priced at 100$
per gram. Wouldn't they get angry, if I'll give my slices away at 50$ to the
list members and what would Mr.Market Trend think? On the other hand one is
only allowed to post an add, if the price is remarkably reduced...and
imagine the difficulties... I'm from the old world and the US-collectors are
so shy, wouldn't they think, that such a low price for thin slices (gosh,
what a cut loss!) must be a tricky trick? So I'd make dozens of photos, post
it to the list and the result will be, that they'll think that I'm a foolish
cheater or the material would be worthless, because I priced it so low and
thus the work will have been for nothing.
But on the Gifhorn meteorite fair my howardites sold best of all my stuff,
so the brave ones, who will dare to order, would be happy and I could buy a
new chunk of cheese.....

It's so difficult.
Well, first I'll drink a coffee, perhaps meanwhile I'll get some helpfull
emails from here.
Bye,
Martin