[meteorite-list] Meteorite Steel Alloy

From: Daniel H. Fronefield <dfronfld_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 25 20:53:19 2004

Okay ... I know this is not exactly on topic, but there was too much talk
of "steel" for a knifemaker to be quiet so I figured I'd chime in. In
conjunction with another knifemaker, I am having a large quantity of iron
meteorite smelted (induction furnace) with raw iron and 0.7% carbon to make an
alloy I've named MeteorAlloy. It will be roughly chemically equivalent to
15N20 which makes an outstanding, fully hardenable knife blade ... except it
will be created from meteorites. I know, I know ... once melted it's now no
different than regular alloys but I was going for the major "WOW" factor. All
my future blades will be made from MeteorAlloy. For those of you who know what
one is, the 'hamon' or temper line should be awesome too.

All that said ... I've currently had to put my shop into storage prior to
moving so I'll be unable to make anything for a little while.<sigh>

Handmade Knives by D. Fronefield
"Specializing in Meteorites and other exotic materials"
http://hiwaay.net/~dfronfld