[meteorite-list] No Dogs Allowed - or are they?

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 2 08:36:04 2004

Hello Kevin and list,

Kevin wrote, "Of course, this dog gone tale, as veteran readers of this list
know, and
as detailed in an article in "Meteorite" back when it still had a "!", is
unsupported by evidence. More telling, no person clinging to the legend has
published anything in
its support in the last five years. Certain ridicule is a powerful
restraint."

Kevin, I guess since you are kind of taking a poll in that statement...and
with light of the election day... I will go on the record as stating, "It is
very possible the dog was killed by the fall of the Nakhla meteorite."

You comment, "unsupported by evidence" is somewhat misleading.

There are several pieces of evidence that show this may of happened.

The bolide did go over where the meteorite is suppose to have fell.

The farmer who who recovered the meteorite, GAVE it to the newspaper and no
reward was mentioned.

The newspaper descibes the stone and in what appears to sound like the
Nakhla meteorite.

Your main piece of evidence against this happening, is a TRANSLATION of the
originial article, which states in so many words that the dog, "turned to
ash." I don't imagine you speak a second laugage Kevin? I think any of us
that do or has studied another laugage for any amount of time could easily
see how the transcription could be worded wrong.

So did the Nakhla dog get hit with the meteorite? I don't know, but it
seems, to me, there is more evidence to say it did or could have happened,
then that it didn't.

Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com