[meteorite-list] ebay auction meteorites

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 4 09:18:48 2004

Hiho Mark,

the region does not make the difference, the finders do!

In Antarctica it's the common process, to number each stone seperately -
take a look at the Bulletins, there you'll find rare types, found in the
same place on the same day with different numbers.
Sahara in general is different, in Oman never were so much hunters around as
in Libya and the Oman stuff does not end up in Morocco.
And the teams in Oman give always all their finds from one aerea as a bunch
in classification, most in the same place. So different conditions as with
the NWA-stuff.
Meanwhile a beginning collector must have the impression, that a howardite,
a mesosiderite, a CV3 or a olivine diogenite must be something extremely
common, as always when a new one is coming out, in the months to follow,
appears a dozen numbers of the same material.
But ask f.e. Afanasjev or Haberer how many ordinary chondrites you have to
hunt down, until you'll find an achondrite! Make some stats NWA versus Dho,
with the latter I suppose you will get different ratios of rare types to
common ones, if you count the numbers as own finds.

And of course many of the OCs from Oman are similar looking as in most
cases, they ae very weathered, W3-4. But take a look in the lists from the
Bulletins, where you can see from the date of find and the coordinates, that
mostly a large series of subsequent numbers were found on the same trip,
there you have a wide variety of Ls and Hs with different Fa and Fs values
and weathering degrees.

So I think, if it costs the same, Stevey is not wrong to prefer Dho instead
of NWA, as in my eyes, they have a higher collector's value (and I'm really
no fan of desert chondrites, I'm sooo conservative and collect names).

Cheeers!
Martin