[meteorite-list] Meteorite recovery by region

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 4 16:14:36 2004

Hi J?rn and List,

J?rn replied to Matt:

> I don't think there are other areas comparable to North Africa or the
Arabian
> Penninsula with their large plateaus, that are comparably meteorite-rich.

I think the main advantage NWA has (had?) going for it is the huge number of
people searching. There's really no other comparable location in terms of
manpower -- not Oman, DaG, HaH, Atacama, or Australia and certainly not
Antarctica.

J?rn added:

> Even Australia, which is well searched by meteorite hunters, never yielded
> comparable numbers of meteorites.

Legal exportability may be an extenuating factor here. Still, it would be
interesting to get some estimates on the number of man-years spent searching
by region. I expect that no geographic region is even a close second
to NWA.

--Rob