[meteorite-list] Collecting goals

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 4 19:06:54 2004

Hi Steve and List,

Steve opined:

> With 20 DHOFARS and 3 NWA main masses,in my collection,I know that
> none of them are paired.

I assume you mean to each other, which may be a safe statement provided
the classifications are sufficiently distinct.

> With people like SERGE,MARTIN and ANDREAS coveting dhofar main masses,
> there is alot of knowledge bantering about these very special stones.

Given the potentially ephemeral nature of collecting specimens based on
their "main mass" status, I would be hesitant to confer special status
based only on size. But that's the nice thing about meteorites -- you
can collect/cherish/value them for whatever reasons you want. Some
people like to collect specific find/fall locations (e.g. all meteorites
from one country or state). Others may opt for geographic variety --
meteorites from as many different locations as possible. Many like to
collect all known meteorites of a rare type (Martians, lunars, etc.),
or alternatively a representative of each known type. Whether it's one
of these choices, or perhaps falls, complete stones, oriented stones, or
even specimens shaped like animals, there's something for everyone.

Cheers,
Rob