[meteorite-list] Re: Franconia and HaH183

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Nov 6 03:46:57 2004

Ruben Garcia wrote:
"Mike and I worked quietly for several months
cleaning out the small side of the strewn field
till January 2003 when our secret leaked out at the
Tucson Gem And Mineral show."

Hello Ruben,

It appears that you made a typographical error in the
above sentence. When you wrote "January 2003", didn't
you mean to write "January 2004"?

If Mike Miller made his first find in October 2003,
and then Mike and you searched there for several more
months, it would only follow that it was at the
February 2004 - Tucson Gem & Mineral Show that the
news of a STREWN FIELD was leaked out.

But, as luck would have it, you are somewhat correct
about "January 2003", even if only by accident. That
happens to be the date of my first Franconia web page:

http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/francnia/francnia.htm

And astute readers who attended the Tucson Show in
*2003*, or viewed the video by Gwilliam/Holmes of that
Show, will remember my appearance on that video where
I "announced" the recent finding by John Wolfe of the
Franconia STONE.

Months would go by before a "strewn field" was
discovered to exist.

But of course, all of this was detailed in my
Franconia article in the May 2004 issue of "Meteorite"
magazine. At the time I wrote that article, it was
thought that the finds being made by Mike Miller and
Ruben were not paired to Franconia. Mike thought that
his finds were from a different fall.

But we now know that the Franconia STREWN FIELD was
independently found by Mike Miller AND by John Wolfe.
Of course, all of this was detailed in the following
issue of "Meteorite" magazine in the article by Geoff
Notkin.

Hope this clarification makes some sense.
If not, I may post a more detailed explanation, later.

Bob V.