[meteorite-list] ET re Another fake name, serious business

From: Meteoryt.net <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 16 23:02:45 2004

> Meantime I think this is a very serious business. I've invested many
> thousands of dollars in my meteorite collection. How am I to know if
> what I paid for is what I'm told it is? It is based on trust. If
> various dealers are claiming to be selling material that they don't
> have and maybe others are relying on "pairings" based on looks or an
> opinion where does it end? This could be just the tip of the iceberg.

You can go and buy NWA1929 from oryginal mass for e.g. 40$/g or another
Howardite for 80$/g or....... 1kg specimen of NWA1929 from "paired" material
for 4$/g from Morocco. What You will hose ?
If for You is importand to have specimen from oryginal mass, Its Your good
choice. For me is much more importand exact specimen/meteorite. Here is my
opinion as a collector, not dealer. The best situation will be when one
dealer will buy complete mass of exact meteorite. But in many cases its
realy impossible so things like this will happend.

> For example, I bought a piece of Lueders, a Silicated Iron. To me it
> looks a lot like a piece of silicated campo, What's the difference,
> they're both IAB Irons? Well, one is worth 5-10 times as much as the
> other. Once trust in the sellers of meteorites breaks down, it would
> call into question the value of all the rare material in our
> collections!!

I think that we talking here about Pairings of SAHARA material only.
Offering NWA1929 from morocco source as NWA1929 is not the same as offering
for example Gao as Pultusk. In first casse everyone know that this is paired
material, but only one person have for this official papers, in other case
its a crime.
In first example You pay less for " most propably" the same material, in
other You pay more for false or different material.

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195
--------[ Member of: Polish Meteoritical Society ]--------