WG: [meteorite-list] Fossils in meteorites / Hahn et al.

From: Jörn Koblitz <koblitz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Nov 17 07:53:33 2004

Hi Martin and List,

yeah, that's really a funny publication: Otto Hahn (not to confuse with the discoverer of nuclear fission, who lived half a century later) prepared two voluminous books (1,2) containing plates of very neat photographs of thin sections (mainly Knyahinya and Borkut). He misinterpreted these chondrules are fossils and found indications for ancient life almost everywhere in the stones he studied (and even in irons!). Very curious! Immediately after the publication, a number of other authors (e.g. C.Vogt (3) strongly opposed against Hahn's findings. Others like Weinland, who described corals and animal remains in meteorites supported him (4,5).

1) O. Hahn (1879) Die Urzelle, nebst dem Beweis, da? Granit, Gneiss, Serpentin, Talk, Sandstein, auch Basalt, endlich Meteorstein und Meteoreisen aus Pflanzen bestehen: die Entwicklungslehre durch Thatsachen neu begr?ndet, Laupp'sche Vertragsbuchhandlung, T?bingen, 71 pp, 30 pls.

2) O. Hahn (1880) Die Meteorite (Chondrite) und ihre Organismen. Laupp'sche Vertragsbuchhandlung, T?bingen, 56 pp, 22 pls.

3) C. Vogt (1882) Sur les pr?tendus organismes des m?t?orites, M?moires de l'institut national Genevois 15, 55 pp., 3 pls.

4) D. F. Weinland (1881) Korallen in Meteorsteinen. Das Ausland 54, p.301-303 (Apr.17), 501-508 (Jun.27).

5) D. F. Weinland (1882) ?ber die in Meteoriten entdeckten Thierreste. G.Fr?hmer, Esslingen, 12 pp.

Cheers,
J?rn / MetBase