[meteorite-list] secrecy in our community

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Nov 17 14:42:59 2004

Dear list members,

I feel obliged to inform the list that the description of NWA 1839 that
I forwarded to the list (twice) is actually only a draft, incomplete,
and does not even include the names of two of the scientists involved -
namely, T. Irving and S. Kuehner. This was certainly an unintentional
mistake on the part of a few, which has caused some embarrassment within
the academic community. I am not happy to find myself involved in this
matter, as I think I am more than careful to avoid crossing the lines of
secrecy and ethical concerns.

However, I have decided that my memory is not as keen as it used to be,
and I no longer want the responsibility of sorting the vast amount of
information that I receive from innumerable sources into a "secret" file
and a "public" file. Therefore, I am stating publicly to all, that any
meteorite-related information that I may learn through any source will
be treated as public information, and I will do with it what I feel is
appropriate and beneficial to the needs of myself and the community at
large, just as I have been doing up to now.

I think the responsibility for this secrecy lies with both the grant
seeking academic community and the profit seeking meteorite business
community - I belong to neither (still waiting for that scholarship to
UNM or NAU). I will continue to frugally seek the meteorites I desire,
paying close attention to whether or not I already own such a meteorite
type so that I don't waste money buying duplicate items. This is the
hardest part of collecting that seems to cause so much consternation I
think.

So to sum up, starting today, David Weir will not keep your secrets
about a meteorite that has not been deemed official by NomCom so don't
tell him/me. The potential benefits gained (saving money by eliminating
duplication, and some vicarious thrills) are outweighed by the potential
harm to personal relationships. All I need is to read the few meteorite
journals which publish the information I seek. This is more information
than I know what to do with already. My personal collection is as
complete as I care to make it for now, pending publication of new types
from unique parent bodies.

I worked around tigers today, yesterday was elephants and cheetahs. My
work environment provides me with a perspective on the meteorite
community that doesn't paint a totally healthy picture, not as it should
be for the collecting and studying of rocks from space. I hope our
community will eliminate some of these lines of secrecy in order to make
life both more simple and more pleasurable, and for some, more
profitable.

Regards,
David
meteoritestudies.com