[meteorite-list] Mysterious Boom Heard in Virginia

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 18 16:32:05 2004

http://www.wric.com/Global/story.asp?S=2582952

Northside Boom
WRIC TV8 - Virginia
November 18, 2004

A mysterious boom noise is shaking homes and scaring neighbors. The
monster rumbles have been taking place since late October in the Ginter
Park section of the city, but what's bothering residents is
investigators can't figure out where the noise is coming from.

"It's the loudest noise I've ever heard. It's huge and it comes from
under the ground. It shakes the house. It's a terrifying moment that
stops you dead in your tracks," said one resident.

"Some of the things we're investigating would include methane or natural
gas sewer gas, flights overhead, air national guard, something that
might cause a sonic boom. So far, we're come up dry on all accounts,"
says Bill Farrar of Richmond Public Works.

The city has asked the State Emergency Management Department to help
them investigate. If you live in the area and hear one of the booms,
you're asked to call 9-1-1.