[meteorite-list] Teacher Tells Kids: Meteor's Coming and You'll All Die

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Nov 19 15:58:24 2004

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004532924,00.htm

Teacher Tells Kids: Meteor's Coming and You'll All Die
The Sun (United Kingdom)
November 19, 2004

TERRIFIED schoolkids sobbed after a teacher announced that a METEORITE
was going to wipe them out in days.

The head of year told the dumbstruck pupils they could go home early to
say their "FINAL FAREWELLS" to parents.

She delivered her bombshell to morning assembly after announcing she had
bad news for the 240 students.

The teacher said scientists had contacted the school with information
about a meteor that would smash into Earth in ten days' time - and
decimate everything in its path.

She continued with her doom-laden address until she realised the effect
her words had on the 13 and 14-year-olds.

Then she admitted it was a stunt to teach them to "seize the day".

Last night parents at St Matthew's Roman Catholic High School in Moston,
Manchester, said they were making an official complaint to education
chiefs.

One 13-year-old boy said: "She said this meteorite was going to hit in
ten days and she was going to send us home to say goodbye to our loved
ones. I felt sick and just froze."

"I looked around and everyone was getting dead panicky. Quite a few were
crying. I was really scared."

'But then after a few minutes she suddenly said that it wasn't true. I
was really angry and didn't know what to think."

The lad's dad added: "Some of the children were 100 per cent convinced
they were going to die."

"God only knows what this teacher thought she was doing."

Another parent said: "I couldn't believe it. I send my kids to school to
be educated, not terrorised. The school motto is Seek Ye First the
Kingdom of God but perhaps it should be Watch Out for Falling Rocks."

Headmaster Keith Hogan insisted he was standing by the teacher, who he
described as "very experienced and a superb member of staff".

He said: "She certainly used the story about a meteorite to illustrate a
point - seize the day. It was taken literally by some of the students."

"Some of the children did appear to be getting upset, at which point she
told them she had made it up."

"It's an unfortunate set of circumstances."

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3778326

Head Backs Teacher over 'Meteorite Strike' Spoof
By Charlie Hamilton
The Scotsman (United Kingdom)
November 19, 2004

A head teacher today backed a member of staff who panicked more than 200
pupils by telling them an asteroid was going to hit the Earth.

The Head of Year 9 told the terrified 14-year-olds that scientists had
tracked a meteorite which was on a collision course with the Earth and
they were going to die.

Keith Hogan, head of St Matthew's Roman Catholic High School in Moston,
Greater Manchester, said he regretted any distress caused to any of the
230 pupils.

The spoof announcement was designed to teach the children the importance
of seizing the day but backfired after youngsters became visibly frightened.

The teacher then admitted the story was only a stunt aimed at
underlining the theme of the assembly "living each day to the full".

Mr Hogan said: "Obviously I regret the fact that any student was
distressed by the content and delivery of the assembly."

"However, I am confident that the Head of Year acted appropriately and
professionally in dealing with the incident."

"Following the assembly the Head of Year visited every Year 9 class and
again told the students that the story was untrue and made every effort
to ensure that those students who had been anxious were reassured."