AW: [meteorite-list] Thanks for the honest answer Dr. Grossman

From: Bernhard Rems <rendelius_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Nov 21 17:43:15 2004

Rob,

what I will write isn't from a scientific point of view. I am no
scientist. I am a collector. So what I will write is from a collector's
point of view.

With no meteorite I have ever bought on ebay or elsewhere, I got proof
that what was sold to me was actually what it was advertised to be. It's
hard to proof it, even the so called certificates of authenticy are
nothing more than paper, since there is only one person in the world who
can guarantee that the meteorite is what he is said to be: the original
holder of the classified material.

So, when there is no proof - the only thing that remains is trust. I
have to trust the seller that he sells me what he tells me. If this
trust is shaken by something, I will stay away from him in the future.

There are two easy questions I want to ask you:

1) How can you PROOF you sell NWA 1110 when you sell NWA 1110? Just tell
me what proofs for YOU that you are selling NWA 1110.
2) How can you be sure that the material you are selling is martian?
Just tell me what proofs for YOU that you are selling a martian
meteorite with NWA 1110.

Answer them in a way that makes me trust in you. I assume that when you
bought that material, you asked the seller the same questions, right?

Bernhard