[meteorite-list] Trust - Forward from Dirk ross

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Nov 21 22:52:14 2004

NWA numbers do not belong to any person, they belong to a set of samples.
Nobody is trying to claim ownership of numbers just the material classified
under those numbers unless material is released to a third party. Think of
NWA numbers as serial numbers. Two meteorites may have came from the same
location and classify the same but will have unique numbers. For somebody
to use unique numbers assigned to somebody else's material is fraudulent and
damaging in some cases. If you made up your own VIN number so that it
matched a famous person's vehicle this would be cause for concern, same with
meteorites. Borrowing that VIN number does not make it the same car.

Lets say that dealer "A" does the right thing and has his material
classified. Then lets say dealer "B" who received his material in the mail
from a Moroccan borrows dealer "A's" descriptions and nomenclature without
being supplied by dealer "A". Say the false nomenclature has a detrimental
affect on Dealer "A's" inventory value. Does not dealer "A" have the right
to pursue damages for the devaluation of property because of the fraud
committed by dealer "B" and the use of dealer "A"s copyrighted promotional
material without permission.

Hope this clears up an issue,

Adam