[meteorite-list] slabbed meteorites

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 23 02:11:10 2004

well you DO realize that you dont have to buy from conventional dealers,
yes? with a little bit of research on the net it wouldnt be too hard to come
up with the contacts for at least 2 guys directly in morocco. they normally
dont like selling a few grams here and there - but if you partner up with a
few collector buddies there is no reason why you cant buy directly out of
morocco yourself. there are risks - but these risks tend to be minimalized
by dealing with known moroccain sources AND knowing your meteorites. but in
the end it's a trade off - would you rather pay 7$ a gram for nwa cv3 from a
dealer stateside who will guarantee the authenticity of a rock in
perpetuality - or would you rather pay 1.25$ a gram and get a rock with no
nwa number who's only authenticity guarantee is based upon your ability to
recognize a cv3? keep in mind that most guys in morocco probably arent going
to want to talk to you unless you are spending a thousand or two or even
more - and even if they dont mind doing small transactons bank wire or
western union fees make such highly unrealistic.