[meteorite-list] NWA's, "Dealers", Science, & NomCom

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 25 10:15:44 2004

Just so you all understand, here's what JSC does (I think). It doesn't
translate well into a system where more than one person owns the meteorite,
but perhaps that doesn't matter. They label their original specimen
"<name>,0". I suppose if they had a case where there was more than one
fragment in the original mass (not usually true), they might number each
fragment with a different number. Every time they divide a sample, the
main remaining piece retains its number and the new sample gets the next
available sequence number. A database records the original mass of each
sample, its current mass, the nature of the sample (slab, end piece, thin
section, potted butt, etc.) and the name of the "parent" sample from which
it was taken. So you might have ALH 05002,20 which is a thin section that
the database tells you was taken from parent ALH 05002,3 which was a 20 g
slice taken from the main mass ALH 05002,0 which weighed 221 g. When a
researcher gets a sample, he no longer modifies these numbers even if he
divides specimens because he has no access to the JSC database.

How could this translate to commercial meteorites? I think the suggestion
that each person in the chain append a new subsample number separated by a
comma is impractical. For big meteorites, this could get out of hand real
quick, producing a long chain of untraceable numbers. All I think that is
needed is for the original owner to do what JSC does in some form. I would
suggest that they not concern themselves with maintaining a database of all
cuts and divisions, but instead just number the specimens once and leave it
at that. If somebody buys a piece of NWA 5423,11 then he can trace this
back to an original specimen. You see, the comma denotes a specimen
number. These numbers would correspond exactly to the "number of pieces"
reported to the NomCom. Everything with only one piece would be
xxxx,1. Now if somebody wants to call a new meteorite he buys in Morocco
NWA 5434, which is not allowed under our rules, he would have to go the
extra step of actually faking a specimen number. The other nice thing
about this scheme is that if somebody discovers that NWA 5434,11 is a
primitive achondrite not really paired with the rest of NWA 5434, an H6
chondrite, then everybody who bought it will know if he has it.

Note, that when one is selling a meteorite, one should be careful how the
specimen numbers are used. You are selling NWA 5434. However, this 15 g
piece I have up for auction is a slice of NWA 5434,4. The name of the
meteorite has no comma. The name of a particular specimen does.

reactions?

Jeff