[meteorite-list] Re: NWA's, "Dealers", Science, & NomCom

From: Herbert Raab <herbert.raab_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 25 10:39:15 2004

Jeff Grossman wrote:

> Now if somebody wants to call a new meteorite he buys in Morocco
> NWA 5434, which is not allowed under our rules, he would have to
> go the extra step of actually faking a specimen number.

I bought a stony meteorite from a box that was sitting benath
a Moroccan dealse's desk with fossils at the Munich show last
year. I recently got it back from a lab saying that it's paired
with NWA xxxx. Now, they said, there is so much NWA xxx around
that they won't bother to assign new number to my specimen. In
that case, I would have been forced to "fake" a specimen number...
:-(

 Best greetings
  Herbert "I don't want to fake" Raab